What is STEP? What services does OCCC provide?
STEP is the SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) Training and Employment Program. OCCC provides career coaching, resumé help, assistance navigating scholastic opportunities, and some financial and transportation assistance for eligible students.
Are you eligible for STEP?
- You must be currently receiving SNAP benefits of any amount. Not sure if you are? Click here.
- TANF recipients are not eligible. If your TANF benefits are ending soon, please contact us.
- You must update or create a new iMatchSkills account.
- You must be interested in pursuing training, job search, and/or education opportunities.
- You must be currently attending Oregon Coast Community College.
What can STEP pay for?
- Internet access.
- Cell phone service.
- Rent, mortgage payments & household bills.
- Tuition and fees.
- Textbooks and laptops.
- Clothing for interviews or for training and employment purposes.
- Personal hygiene products.
- Bus passes or gas vouchers.
- Auto insurance and repairs.
- Fees, equipment, or supplies for STEP-related activities.
What does STEP not pay for?
- Previous student loans.
- Legal fees.
- Childcare expenses.
- Medical bills.
Is STEP money a type of loan?
STEP money is not a loan and doesn’t need to be paid back.
How do I enroll in the STEP program?
Contact OCCC’s STEP Advisor, Gena Burke, at email@example.com, or by calling 541-867-8558.
What are our students saying about the STEP program?
“I know so many of us are constantly worried about money while we are in school, and the STEP program helped me worry about that a lot less.” —Alyssa, Nursing
“Being a student in the STEP program has given me peace of mind. The generous amount of support for bills, gas, and a working computer has let me focus on my school work without added stress.” —Yvonne, Business
“The STEP program has been life-changing for me and my family.” —Ashlee, Early Childhood Education