Oregon Coast Community College Student Employment
The purpose of student employment at Oregon Coast Community College (OCCC) is to provide meaningful part-time employment for students that enhances their educational or career goals along with providing opportunity to utilize their earnings to meet their educational expenses.
OCCC offers two types of student employment, Federal Work Study (FWS) and General Student Employment (GSE).
- Be a degree-seeking student
- Attend college at least half-time (6 or more credits).
- Be eligible to work and provide documentation of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to policy requirements located online at OCCC SAP .
Student Employment Benefits
- Provides job opportunities for students in need of financial assistance to meet college costs.
- Provides opportunities to gain skills that will enhance future educational and career goals.
- Provides beneficial resume’ building experience and training.
Federal Work-Study (FWS) Overview
Students receive FWS based on financial need and eligibility requirements. The program’s intention is to assist students in obtaining jobs that will help defray the cost of their education and provide students with training to increase employability upon graduation. Students are encouraged, as much as possible, to seek employment related to their degree or career destination. Earnings are not considered when calculating financial need for future financial aid.
Steps to receive a FWS award/offer:
Once the request form is submitted, students will then be notified of their FWS award status within three business days.
- 2021-22 Academic year has funding for 4 FWS employment opportunities
General Student Employment (GSE) Overview
GSE is designed for students who are unable to receive an FWS award. There are very few GSE positions on campus. Earnings are considered income and need to be reported when completing the FAFSA
- 2021-22 Academic year has funding for 2 GSE employment opportunities
General Application Information
Student Employment( FWS and GSE) positions will be listed on OCCC’s recruitment website. OCCC Employment Opportunities
Students will search for Student Employment on the Employment Opportunities page. Student ID number is a required for the employment application
It is the expectation that students will begin looking for their FWS position in late August through early September and apply no later than September 15, as this is when the first review of applications will begin. It is also the expectation that students be hired into a FWS position, or actively engaged in the hiring process, no later than week 2 of the term.
After students complete their application, supervisors will then contact them for interviews.
The Student Employment Handbook is a complete guide to student employment for students and supervisors.
General Student Employment(GSE) related- Joy Gutknecht, OCCC HR Director Joy.firstname.lastname@example.org 541.867.5151
Federal Work Study(FWS) Related- Kimberly Jones or Layton Spence email@example.com Email is preferred
Financial Aid is responsible for administrating Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Human Resources is responsible for General Student Employment (GSE).