Oregon Coast Community College students who wish to use Veterans’ Educational Benefits while attending OCCC should follow these steps to get started:
Step 1: Apply with the VA
● Apply for your Veterans Educational Benefits online at ebenefits.va.gov.
● You will need the following to complete your application:
1) VA File Number (also called your VA Claim Number and is often your Social Security Number or if you are a dependent, the veteran’s SSN)
2) DD214’s for each period of active service.
3) Which chapter benefits you are applying for.
● When applying for benefits with the VA choose Oregon Coast Community College as your school.
● Complete the application at least 6 weeks before you plan on attending classes.
● Your local Veteran Service Office can assist you with your application or in determining which benefit you are eligible to receive. You can contact Lincoln County’s VSO at 541-574-6955 or email@example.com.
Step 2: Get admitted to OCCC
● The online admission application is free and takes about 10 minutes to complete. Once you submit your admissions application, you will receive an email with important next steps.
● Note: OCCC has an open admissions policy, but keep in mind limited entry programs (Aquarium Science, Medical Assisting, Nursing and Nursing Assistant) have specific entrance requirements. Please visit that program’s webpage to view their specific requirements.
Step 3: Meet Veterans’ Liaison in student services at 541-867-8503, firstname.lastname@example.org
● Turn in a completed Veteran Education Benefits Rights and Responsibilities form and a completed Request for change of program or place of training: Form 22-1995 (for veterans) or a Request for change of program or place of training: Form 22-5495 (for dependents). These can also be found at the front counter of Student Affairs in Newport.
● After talking to the Veterans’ Liaison, submit your class schedule for certification after you register for classes. You can access your schedule in your My.OregonCoast account and submit to email@example.com or bringing to the Student Affairs counter in Newport. You will need to submit your schedule at the beginning of every term.
Step 4: Apply for financial aid
● Use financial aid in addition to your Veterans Educational Benefits to get the maximum amount of money for school.
● Apply online at studentaid.gov.
● When applying for financial aid use Oregon Coast Community College’s school code 042837
● Applications take 6-8 weeks to process.
Transfer Credit and VA Benefits
Students using any type of Federal Veterans Administration (VA) Education Benefit are required to have all prior credit history evaluated. It is the student’s responsibility to request official transcripts from all previous colleges and submit them to OCCC. A student’s first term of VA benefits may be certified while waiting for transcript evaluation, however, no subsequent terms will be certified for VA Benefits until transfer credit evaluation is complete.
Residency for Veterans
A person eligible for benefits under the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (38 U.S.C Section 3301 et seq.) or any other federal law authorizing educational benefits to veterans shall be entitled to Oregon resident status for purposes of tuition and fees charged at Oregon Coast Community College. Students seeking a change in their residency status should contact the Financial Aid Office at 541-867-8501.