It’s never too late for college!
The pursuit of knowledge is a lifelong process, and OCCC is pleased to offer senior learners the opportunity to enhance new and existing skills through challenging and intellectually stimulating programs. If you are an Oregon resident who is 60 or older, you may be eligible for free or discounted tuition rates.
Seniors get free tuition for credit classes when taken for an audit grading option. Auditing is taking a class without receiving a grade or credit. You can only audit a class if there are still seats available on the first day of class. This 100% tuition waiver does not cover lab fees or other class fees. Many classes fill up early, so space is not guaranteed. The only way to secure a spot in a class is to register early and pay full tuition. Auditing students must be registered for eight credits or fewer per term.
“As a life long learner and someone very familiar with the high quality of instruction at OCCC,” said waiver-program participant Jane Hodgkins. “I was very excited to take advantage of the senior waiver and enroll in an art class this summer. The class has been challenging and it’s inspiring to see the work of my fellow students. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s available for fall term.”
Steps for Oregon residents aged 60 years or more
to receive a tuition waiver for credit classes:
- Find the credit class you want to audit in the OCCC online class schedule.
- If you have never taken a class with OCCC before, complete the online application available here.
- Email the instructor of the class for permission to audit their class. Have then email this approval to the Registrar at Registrar@OregonCoast.edu .
- Fill out the Senior Waiver form here.
- If approved to audit the class, the Registrar will register you in the course after the first day of the class, per state regulations, and email you the first week of the term to confirm this registration.
- You will receive instructions on how to pay course and student fees and purchase textbooks and/or other materials not covered by the tuition waiver.
Any questions about this process? We’re here to help.
Call 541-996-6222 or email us for assistance.
- Auditing students may register for up to eight credits per term.
- Audit is available only with instructor permission.
- Senior waivers cannot be used to:
- take classes and earn college credit
- displace credit students paying tuition
- register for classes in limited entry programs (i.e. Aquarium Science or Nursing)
As some classes don’t fill and are subject to cancellation, those seeking to audit certain classes may not be informed of whether a class will be held until on or about its scheduled start date. All auditing participants are subject to the same codes of conduct and behavior as other students, and to the procedures detailed on the OCCC Tuition Waiver Form. For more information about tuition waivers and credit class schedules, call 541-867-8501 or check the online schedule.
Curious about the Oregon law behind the waiver? Read it here.