Student Accessibility Services

Getting Started

How can the college help me succeed? 

Our philosophy is to support your independence by providing a variety of options to help you in achieving your educational and/or job-related goals.

Oregon Coast Community College is committed to providing equal opportunities for students with disabilities throughout the College community. Students with documented disabilities are entitled to reasonable accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

What types of accommodations can I potentially receive?

Accommodations vary based on the nature of the disability. Some commonly offered accommodations include extra time to complete tests, handouts of lecture slides, and more.

What do I do first if I need accommodations for a disability?

The first step to getting the support you need is to meet with the Vice President for Student Affairs. You can set up this appointment via your advisor, or by contacting Student Services to set up an appointment by calling at 541-867-8501, emailing, or stopping by the front counter at our Newport campus during business hours. During the school year our offices are open Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 5 pm. Our summer hours are Monday to Thursday from 7:30 am to 6 pm and run from June 24 to August 30.

When preparing for a meeting about disability and/or accommodations, what should I bring with me?

If you have a scheduled meeting to set up accommodations, you will check in at the Student Services front desk, to the left of the main commons at our Newport campus. Bring any relevant paperwork or documentation. If you would like a family member, friend, or interpreter to accompany you to this meeting, you are welcome to bring them with you.

What will my professors be told?

It is your decision whether to disclose the nature of your disability to your instructors, or not. Your instructors will only be told that you have an accommodation and what that accommodation requires (longer test times, etc.).

What if I had an IEP in high school?

If you had an IEP in high school, it is a good idea to make sure you have the support you need in college as well. Even if you think you may not need accommodations in college, if you had an IEP in high school it’s very helpful to at least set up accommodations in case your workload is more than you thought. Unlike high school, however, a meeting to set up accommodations for you will only involve yourself and the Dean, as well as anyone you personally choose to take with you to the meeting.

How do I advocate for myself in the classroom?

In the unlikely event that there is a communication lapse and you do not receive your accommodation contact the Vice President for Student Affairs as soon as possible.

What do I need to do each term to make sure I have the accommodations I need?

Each term you will need to meet with a Student Accessibility Service staff member to make sure that your accommodations are renewed and up to date. Contact Student Accessibility Services at the start of term in order to set up an appointment.